Wednesday 14 March 2012

Art & Word school competition translate English to Welsh (for children)

Schools over the world why not do an Art and Word Competition with me (there is a small £1 entry charge for kids, but 50% will go directly to the school funding pot.) Children will be asked to translate an English word into a Welsh word, French, Italian, German etc, depending on which languages your child is learning. Then comes the fun part! They need to create an original character that resembles that word. For example carrot, which translated into Welsh means moron.


And here he is Moron the Welsh Carrot, designed by my own child artist Snowflake.


Here are some other examples. Peas (Peis,) Sweetcorn (Cornmely's) and Cabbage (Bresych.) These are some Welsh words I learnt whilst working in a Welsh School.


WHAT DOES THE WINNER OF THE ART AND WORD COMPETITION GET? AND WHAT ABOUT THE RUNNERS UP?


Firstly, I want to say that every child is a winner! So even though your child may not come first or second, their artwork will get the full glory it deserves and will be added to a video where all the drawings and words can be seen by the whole world.Who knows it may well get published one day, if it is a huge success.


1st Prize - Handmade plastic sculpture (toy) based on your child's drawing
The winner of the art and word competition will get their very own character made out of plastic, handmade by me Sharon J. Bainbridge. Just take a look at some of the characters I have made based on my child's drawings.

FRESH PACK CHARACTERS BASED ON SNOWFLAKES DRAWINGS



CHARACTERS SNOWFLAKE CREATED FOR THE TRASH PACK COMPETITION




2nd Prize - Your child's drawing animated with their voice as a cartoon charater
All you have to do is email a blank video of your child's voice saying the word they chose in English and Welsh (no video image necessary.) And I will transform this into an animated character like Moron the Welsh Carrot (who sounds a little French, ha ha.) It would be nice to have a Welsh accent to match the words.




3nd Prize - Make your own postcards with your photographic images 
Your child will get ten blank 4x6 inch postcards and ten 4x6 inch photographic images of their character with the English Word translated into Welsh. All they need is a Pritt Glue Stick to glue the photographic art images onto the back of the postcard.  If you would like your child's image to look more cartoon like by revamping it with Photoshop, this can be done with a one off fee, but it is not necessary if your child is really good at colouring in with felt tip colours.


Note. The blank postcards have been designed to glue 4x6 photographs to. This can be artwork or just plain old photographs. I use the best award winning photo lab to develop my photo images. Some photo developing companies cheat on the sizing so there 4x6 inch photo will not fit the 4x6 inch postcard neatly. You cannot print these postcards from home with a normal printer as the card is too thick (top quality postcards for best quality results.) 

BUY BLANK POSTCARDS - ONLY 30P EACH WITH 10p PER SALE GOING TO YOUR SCHOOL 

If parents wish to buy blank postcards to create art postcards with their child's finished image, the school will get 10p from every sale (retail price 30p per postcard.)

**********************************************************************************

ABOUT ME - SHARON J. BAINBRIDGE


In 2007 I launched my fairy book Butterfly Lullaby at the Dylan Thomas Centre. It has been a very difficult journey. My audience is American and I believe one day things will work out. As you can see below my Butterfly Lullaby book is advertised for over £60+ by Waterstones USA. Borders in Swansea sold 27 of my books in one month. They took 40 books in total and only paid for 10. I personally feel that whoever sells my books which have not been purchased through me, should honour the £1 per book to Cystic Fibrosis for Jodie and give some thought to my little girl who has Asthma.
http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/booksearch?isbn=9780955445408

BUTTERFLY LULLABY BOOK LAUNCH AT THE DYLAN THOMAS CENTRE MARCH 2007



Famous Robin Stevens from children's TV (Rosie and Jim and the film Labyrinth with David Bowie) told me "Sharon never give up, you will get there!" Here he is reading out my story Colour me a fairies wish. The full version has him holding my fairy puppet, which to this day I am extremely proud of.



I used to have a shop on my Butterfly Lullaby website. Hopefully one day I will get the support I need to protect my work and give hope to other struggling Mothers.

P.S. My daughter gets teased sometimes because she is not as tall as her friends, I think we all say things without thinking. So I have changed her name from Little Snowflake to just plain Snowflake. She told me this morning that nearly all her friends had award plaques and asked why she did not have one. Well I think she deserves an art award, what do you think?

Email: Sharon: misschilliebee@msn.com       -        www.butterflylullaby.co.uk        

No comments:

Post a Comment